Data Usage Policy
(last updated on June 27, 2017)
This document outlines how DreamRider Productions (“DreamRider”, “we”, “us”) collects, uses, discloses, transfers and stores information about you (“the User”) to provide and administer the Planet Protector Academy (the “Academy”) suite of environmental education programs (the “Programs”).
2. Statement of Intent
As a registered charity using digital-based programs to fulfill our mission of inspiring, educating and empowering the next generation of environmental superheroes, we take our responsibility to safeguard your information very seriously and use your information solely in service of this mission.
3. Collection and Use of Personal Information
What personal information do we collect?
NOTE: No personal information about students or their families is collected at any point throughout the Academy.
- When you – a teacher – register an account on the Academy, add basic classroom information, request information, participate in an online survey or contact us with an enquiry, we may collect a variety of information, including your name, email address, phone number, city, school name and contact preferences.
- In the rare case where external funding for our Programs is not available in your area, you will have the option of purchasing a program online using a credit card through a secure payment portal, and so we will need to collect payment information from you to complete this transaction successfully.
How do we use your personal information?
- We use personal information to help us create, develop, promote, administer, deliver and improve the Academy.
- From time to time, we may use your personal information to send you important notices, such as changes in our terms, conditions and policies. Because this information is important to your interaction with DreamRider, you may not opt out of receiving these communications.
- We may, with your explicit permission ONLY, use your personal information to keep you posted on announcements and news related to the Academy. You can choose whether to receive these messages or not when you register on the Academy and can update your communications preferences in your account profile at any time.
- In cases where funding for access to the Academy’s Program(s) is provided by a government agency, school district and/or philanthropic grantor, we may need to share your name, the name of your school and information about any Programs you have used on the Academy, including information on progress and completion of these programs. This is for the purpose ONLY of demonstrating to funders that their funding is in use by actual teachers. NOTE: We will not provide personal contact information such as your email address, phone number or postal address without your explicit consent.
4. Collection and Use of Non-Personal Information
We also collect information in a form that does not, on its own, allow a direct association with a specific individual. We may collect, use, transfer, share and disclose non-personal information to help us provide and administer the Academy, for example:
- To measure the impact of the Academy and related Programs, we collect information about change in student families’ environmental behaviours and their feedback on the program. The students report this numerical data with a show of hands and the aggregated classroom totals are entered into the Academy. No personal information about students or their families is collected at any point throughout the Academy. This aggregated information may be shared with funding partners and external stakeholders to show the impact of the Academy’s Programs, or as part of our efforts to promote the Academy to potential educators. Impact statistics from an individual classroom will not be shared publicly – statistics will always be aggregated to ensure they cannot be associated to your individual user account or classroom. EXAMPLE: 73% of students in Oshawa say they feel like real life planet protectors.
- To help us better understand user behaviour and improve user experience, we may collect information about your interactions with various parts of the Academy. EXAMPLE: Finding out the percentage of users who take our onboarding tutorial and then go on to complete the program successfully with their students.
- To improve our programs, services and communications, we may collect information such as language settings, zip/postal code, area code and time zone where the Academy is being used. EXAMPLE: So that we can provide regionalized student-facing content about how electricity is generated in your region.
If we combine personal information with non-personal information, we will treat the combined information as personal information.
5. Cookies and other Technologies
The Academy website may use “cookies”, pixel tags and other web technologies to help us:
- Understand user behaviour and activity.
- Save your preferences, which enables us to provide you with a more personalized experience. EXAMPLE: When you return to the site, you don’t have to re-enter your classroom information.
- Track and measure the effectiveness of our communications, so that we can reach more users like you and increase our charitable impact. EXAMPLE: Understand how new users first hear about us e.g. email, newsletters, other websites
- Compile aggregate data about website traffic and interactions so that we can keep improving the Academy experience. EXAMPLE: We learn that users don’t know where to find the scoreboard and so we can make this feature more obvious.
Like many other web-based services and programs, we gather some types of information automatically, including Internet Protocol (IP) addresses, browser type and language, internet service provided (ISP), referral or exit websites, operating system and date/time. EXAMPLE: We collect your browser name and version to troubleshoot technical issues should they arise.
6. Trusted Third Parties
We take the security of your personal information very seriously and take all reasonable steps to ensure your personal information is stored securely and complies with data protection best practices.
We enter into agreements with all of our third party tools and services to ensure that use of your personal information is strictly controlled for the purposes of providing and administering the Academy only, and that they do not have the right to use or access your information for any use outside of the Academy.
DreamRider works with a range of reputable third party tools and services to provide and administer the Academy, such as managing and enhancing user data, providing user support services, assessing your interest in the Academy and its programs, and conducting satisfaction surveys. EXAMPLE: We use Intercom to support and stay in touch with users, and use GetFeedback to administer teacher satisfaction surveys.
We understand the sensitivities around collecting, storing, using, and sharing information related to children under 13 – our website is not intended for children under 13 years of age and no one under age 13 may use the website. We don’t knowingly collect, store, use and disclose information from children under 13 without verifiable parental consent. If we learn that we have collected the personal information of a child under 13 (or equivalent minimum age depending on jurisdiction) without first receiving verifiable parental consent, we will take steps to delete the information as soon as possible. If you believe we might have any information from or about a child under 13, please contact us.
8. Links to Other Sites
Our Data Usage Policy changes from time to time. We will post any changes in here and, if the changes are significant, we will provide a more prominent notice on our website or by email.
If you have any questions about our Data Usage Policy, please contact us. Your privacy is important to us and we are always striving to do better.