Data Usage Policy
(last updated on April 28, 2021 to distinguish between Institutional Users and Household Users)
This document outlines how DreamRider Productions (“DreamRider”, “we”, “us”) collects, uses, discloses, transfers and stores information about users (the “User”, “you”) of the Planet Protector Academy (the “Academy”) suite of environmental education programs (the “Programs”) and similar services (collectively, the “Services”).
Users of our Services are comprised of teachers, educators, principals, school district staff, other similar administrators, foundations, non-profit organizations, and other institutional users (collectively, “Institutional User”), and parents and their children (collectively, “Household User”). In certain instances, the type of information collected as part of the provision and administration of our Services may vary depending on the type of User.
2. Statement of Intent
As a registered charity using digital-based programs to fulfill our mission of inspiring, educating and empowering the next generation of environmental superheroes, we take our responsibility to safeguard your information very seriously and use your information in service of this mission, and as otherwise permitted or required pursuant to applicable law.
3. Collection and Use of Personal Information
What personal information do we collect?
- When you use our websites we may automatically collected certain information, including Internet Protocol (IP) addresses, browser type and language, internet service provider (ISP), referral or exit websites, operating system type and date/time.
- When Institutional Users sign up for the Academy and/or our Programs, participate in an online survey or contact us with an enquiry, we may collect a variety of information, including name, email address, phone number, city, school name, and contact preferences.
- In the rare case where external funding for our Programs is not available in your area, Institutional Users will have the option of purchasing a program online using a credit card through a secure payment portal. In such instances we will need to collect payment information from Institutional Users to complete this transaction successfully.
- We may also collect information with respect to how our Institutional Users interact with the Academy and our Programs, including, but not limited to information about the effectiveness of our Programs, pages visited, links clicked, non-sensitive text entered, and mouse movements.
- We do not knowingly collect personal information about minors throughout the Academy, the related Programs, or our websites, If you are a parent and believe that the personal information of your child was unintentionally collected by us, please contact us pursuant to the instructions below to make a request for deletion of this information.
How do we use your personal information?
- We may use personal information as permitted or required pursuant to applicable privacy laws. We may also use personal information to help us create, develop, promote, administer, deliver and improve our websites, the Academy and related Programs and Services.
- We also use User personal information to answer any User enquiries and provide User support with respect to our Services.
- From time to time, we may use your personal information to send you important notices, such as changes in our terms, conditions and policies. Because this information is important to your interaction with DreamRider, you may not opt out of receiving these communications.
- We may, with your explicit permission ONLY, use your personal information to keep you posted on announcements and news related to the Academy and our Programs. You can choose whether to receive these messages when you register for our Programs and Services, and can update your communications preferences in your Academy website account and/or email newsletter profile at any time. You may also unsubscribe from such communications by clicking on the unsubscribe link within the applicable e-mails, replying to let us know you wish to be unsubscribed or e-mailing us at [email protected].
- In cases where funding for access to our Program(s) and Services is provided by a government agency, school district and/or philanthropic grantor, we may need to share the following information about Institutional Users: name, school name and information about any Programs used, including information on progress and completion of these Programs. This type of information is shared ONLY for the purpose of demonstrating to funders that their funding is in use by actual Institutional Users. We will not provide personal contact information such as Institutional User email address, phone number or postal address without Institutional User explicit consent.
- To help us better understand Institutional User behaviour and improve the Institutional User experience, we may collect information about Institutional User interactions with various parts of the Academy and related digital services used to deliver our Programs and Services. For example, finding out the percentage of Institutional Users who take our onboarding tutorial and then go on to complete the program successfully with their students.
4. Collection and Use of Non-Personal Information
We also collect information in an anonymized or aggregated form that does not, on its own, allow a direct association with a specific individual. We may collect, use, transfer, share and disclose non-personal information to help us provide and administer the Academy and our Programs, for example:
- To measure the impact of the Academy and our Programs, we collect information about change in Household Users’ environmental behaviours and their feedback on the program. Students report this numerical data with a show of hands in the classroom and through multiple choice polls in our live broadcast programs. This aggregated information may be shared with funding partners and external stakeholders to show the impact of the Academy’s Programs, or as part of our efforts to promote the Academy to potential educators and parents. Specific impact statistics collected from an Institutional User or Household User will not be shared publicly, but may be shared in aggregate form. For example: 73% of students in Oshawa say they feel like real-life planet protectors.
- To improve our programs, services and communications, we may collect information such as language settings, zip/postal code, area code and the time zone where the Academy is being used. This is done, and such information is used so that we can provide regionalized student-facing content e.g. about how electricity is generated in your region.
If we combine personal information with non-personal information, we will treat the combined information as personal information.
5. Cookies and other Technologies
Our websites, including the Academy website, may use “cookies”, pixel tags and other web technologies to help us:
- Understand User behaviour and activity.
- Save your preferences, which enables us to provide you with a more personalized experience. For example, when you return to the site, you don’t have to re-enter your classroom information.
- Track and measure the effectiveness of our communications, so that we can reach more Users and increase our charitable impact. For example, to understand how new Users first hear about us e.g. email, newsletters, other websites
- Compile aggregate data about website traffic and interactions so that we can keep improving the Academy experience. For example, we may learn that Users don’t know where to find the scoreboard and so we can make this feature more obvious.
Like many other web-based services and programs, we gather some types of information automatically, including Internet Protocol (IP) addresses, browser type and language, internet service provider (ISP), referral or exit websites, operating system and date/time. For example, we collect your browser name and version to troubleshoot technical issues should they arise.
6. How we protect your information
We take the security of your personal information very seriously and take all reasonable steps to ensure your personal information is stored securely and complies with data protection best practices. However, no security system is 100% secure, which means we cannot guarantee the absolute security of your personal information.
7. Use of Trusted Third Parties and Sharing of Personal Information
We may share your personal information with affiliated organizations, and third party service providers that assist us in administering and providing the Academy, our Programs, Services, and websites. We enter into agreements with all of our third-party tools and service providers to ensure that use of your personal information is strictly controlled for the purposes outlined herein, including providing and administering the Academy and our Programs. The agreements ensure that our service providers do not have the right to use or access your information for any other purposes.
DreamRider works with a range of reputable third-party tools and services to provide and administer our Programs, such as hosting online webcasts through video communication tools, managing and enhancing User data, providing support services, assessing your interest in our Programs, and conducting satisfaction surveys. For example, we use Intercom to support and stay in touch with Users, and use GetFeedback to administer participant evaluation surveys.
As noted previously, in cases where funding for access to our Program(s) is provided by a government agency, school district and/or philanthropic grantor, we may need to share the following information about Institutional Users with funders: name, school name, and information about any Programs used, including information on progress and completion of these Programs. This is shared ONLY for the purpose of demonstrating to funders that their funding is in use by actual Institutional Users.
We may also share your information as required or permitted pursuant to applicable law.
Some of our service providers and trusted third parties may be located outside of your jurisdiction, and the information collected by us may be shared with entities located in the United States, Canada, and other jurisdictions. While your information is in another jurisdiction, it may be accessed by the courts, law enforcement, and national security authorities of that jurisdiction.
We understand the sensitivities around collecting, storing, using, and sharing personal information related to children. For this reason, we do not ask for or intentionally collect any personal information from minors. Every account registration is first checked by one of our staff and if the registrant is suspected to be a minor, their account information will be deleted as soon as possible. If you believe we might have any information from or about a minor, please e-mail us at [email protected].
9. Links to Other Sites
10. Your Rights with Respect to Personal Information
You have certain rights with respect to your Personal Information pursuant to applicable privacy laws, including (i) the right to access any Personal Information that we hold about you; (ii) correct, update, and amend any Personal Information that we hold about you, and (iii) withdraw your consent, so that we no longer process Personal Information in ways that you previously consented to.
Our Privacy Notice changes from time to time. When we amend this Privacy Notice, we will update the date at the beginning of the notice. We will also provide you with notice of changes and obtain your consent to any such changes where and as required by applicable law. We encourage you to review this Privacy Notice periodically for the latest information on our practices.
If you have any questions about our Privacy Notice, the collection of your information, or if you wish to exercise your rights, or withdraw your consent, please contact our Privacy Officer via e-mail at [email protected]. In certain instances, we may require that you provide additional information in order to verify your identity before we process your requests.